I LOVE bread!! But I always considered it a/ inflammatory and b/ complicated to make… until I was introduced to this REALLY life changing loaf of bread and it’s now a staple in the Casa del Karma kitchen! I’ve been baking this bread for a few months, tweaking the recipe and have lost over 6 kilos eating this healthy bread most days. The psyllium husk clears out the walls of the intestine, helping regulate bowel movements. This recipe even helped my neighbor heal his 1 year long struggle with diarrhea that 3 doctors couldn’t help with.
Here are the changes I’ve made to the original recipe above:
– I double the amount to make a larger loaf as it goes so fast – everyone will want this bread!
– Switched almonds for walnuts
– left out the flax seeds, they make it more like a cracker – if you like crunch, add flax!
– I prefer it without sweetener
– Switched the oil / ghee for butter (I love KerryGold pure Irish butter)
– I like it moist, so have added more water
– I like the crust to be crunchy, so I leave it to cook in the bread pan slightly longer
You can play around with the ingredients, switch seeds and nuts, add dry fruit… this recipe is so much fun to play around with to find your own favorite version.
Here’s my favorite version so far:
The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread
Makes 1 loaf
2 cups / 270g sunflower seeds
½ cup / 65g hazelnuts
½ cup / 65g walnuts
4 cups / 290g rolled oats
4 Tbsp. chia seeds
8 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks (3 Tbsp. if using psyllium husk powder)
2 tsp. fine grain sea salt
3 Tbsp. melted butter
4 cups / 800ml water
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bow, stir well. Mix in melted butter and water. Mix really well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes thick.
2. Transfer into well buttered loaf pan. You can also line the pan with a paper baking sheet or use a silicon pan for easy removal. You’ll need the bread to come out easily half way through the baking. Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 30 minutes. Leaving it in a little longer if you like a thick crust. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped. Let cool completely before slicing (difficult, but important).
4. I don’t like storing the bread in air tight containers, it gets a bit soggy, so I leave it out in the kitchen covered with a kitchen towel. I’ll be surprised if it lasts more than 4 days before it’s all gone into your belly. Freezes well too – slice before freezing for quick and easy toast!
Toasted with my neighbor’s avocado and Ibiza salt, this bread is simply next level.
Not just that, but the psyllium regulates and cleans out the intestines – this bread is even GOOD for you!!
I’d love to hear your favorite version! ENJOY 🙂